
I looked around on Christmas Eve, hardly able to believe it was already here. This was a good year to think about traditions - things that have lived in my family for so long that I'm trying to pass along to our boys. One of the traditions is the plan, that goes something like:
- Wake up, be asked 85 times if we can open presents early
- Clean, straighten and put final touches on gifts
- Be asked if we can open presents early
- Make an emergency grocery store run (I always forget something!)
- Be asked if we can open presents early
- Prepare for church
- Be asked if we can open presents early
- Candlelight service
- Be asked if we can open presents early
- Come home, eat
- Open gifts to/from the four of us
The challenge with this plan is that the gifts, I'm told, have voices. The voices were whispering all day 'open us' and 'don't you want to know what's in here?' As you can imagine, that makes for a lonnnnnggggg day. We made it though. A few highlights:
- Christmas Eve, as always, was the church service- which is always lovely. Jackson has a tradition of his own related to this service, each year. I wondered if it would wear off this year and was promptly reconfirmed that, in fact, he holds steadfast. You see, every year we get into the church and start singing. They turn down the lights because it's a candle light service, after all. Within minutes, Jackson's out like a light.. EVERY YEAR, this one included. He sleeps through most of the service and generally wakes up just as candles are being lit to close with Silent Night. The kid amazes me... and even funnier are the statements each year on the way home about how short the service was and 'Man, are they quick!'
- Tyler was especially handsome this Christmas Eve. I don't know if it's the missing braces or the fact that he's taken a shine to dressing up (for hockey), but he looked like a million dollars and conducted himself like such a gentleman.
- Wonder in the eyes of our boys... I never get tired of sitting in a room with a beautiful tree providing the sole light... and seeing the sparkle in their eyes and exchanging 'knowing' glances with Matt because we know what's about to be opened. It's an awesome family moment I'll never, ever get tired of. If I could make it last forever, I would.
And, into Christmas Day- it was different and lovely this year as well. The weather dwindled our usual crowd down quite a bit (~16" of snow in three days will do that!)- and in hindsight I absolutely agree it was better to be safe than sorry. Frank and Dee joined us for dinner and we had a lovely quiet day (aside from being shot by the new Star Wars Turbo Tank repeatedly in the leg while cooking... apparently my peace treaty of a cookie wasn't worth much!). We shared great food, relaxation and there were even a couple naps. Perfect!
All in all, a lovely Christmas all around. So... in closing I'll fess up now on another note. If you're wondering why no holiday card yet, I'll admit it. It's not done, please be patient... and yes, we still like you! Maybe New Year's?! :-)
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Christmas in review....
Posted by HMT at 9:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment