We enjoyed a long MEA break in Iowa visiting my Mom, sister and Auntie/Uncle last weekend. It was unusual, in that Tyler had a 3 day break from hockey so we were able to bust free.
We packed our bags, charged iPods and Nintendos and got in the car. The first leg was from here to "out of the cities." It was the next leg I was unprepared for; apparently Matt and Tyler had a plan for Tyler to drive a good distance in the middle of Minnesota and Iowa. When the time came, I found myself grudgingly giving up the wheel wondering if it was a good idea. After all, he's a new(er) driver and all four family members (precious cargo, man!) were in the car. We were also on a freeway with other unpredictable drivers. But, I was ousted and found myself a seat in the middle of the car. Tyler took the helm and Matt took the front seat.
I think it was about 10 minutes into the driving experience that my mind was allowed to wander (I think it was a self preservation mode to avoid a nervous breakdown), wondering what my parents must have felt when I started to drive. Were they as nervous as we are? Did they trust me on the highway? When did they stop having heart palpitations when I was driving around? I'm so glad they gave me the freedom, but seriously, it feels so different to be on the other side of the equation!
I will say Tyler did very well, although there are a few things I quickly realized I'd forgotten in time:
1) New drivers jerk the wheel. As evidenced by the repeated mini-whiplashes (um, I mean lane changes). Fear not, this can be fixed over time!
2) New drivers cannot multi-task. This is a BIG one. No talking, no radio, turn off the cell phone (if it buzzes it demands attention).
3) No loud noise in the car. This cracks me up, actually. We start demanding no noise in the car.. I wish I could still do that today!!
4) No sudden movements in the car. Enough said.
5) Definitely no tailgating the new driver. They hate it and it makes them very agitated.
6) Semi trucks are scary. Enough said.
7) Two semi trucks at the same time are even worse.
8) White knuckles and sweaty palms seem par for the course... but get better with time.
I know in time, I'll look back and laugh. So, can I fast forward to that day yet?!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
How quickly we forget.
Posted by HMT at 8:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment