
It's official, we're fighting the inevitable. I remember this situation from many years ago and here we are again.
Tyler was 7 (same age as Jackson) when the kid across the street relentlessly crooned 'there is no Santa, it's just your parents.' We spent a good chunk of time working back through what Santa really is, stretched it a year or two more and finally concluded something that's held to this day: If you believe, you receive. Enough said.... and Tyler still puts out the Santa cookies and carrots for reindeer.
So you'd think I'd be more prepared when another little vermin polluted Jackson's mind this week with the same kind of stuff: there is no Santa, it's your parents, Santa is for babies. But in all honesty, I'm not. Freud would probably have something to say about Santa representing my desire to keep my kids young (maybe he's right?) but I'm saying this: don't wreck the season. Santa represents my kids' ability believe in something magical and something good in this ever changing, stressful world. While he is not the reason for the season, he's a good runner-up and mascot. For now, we'll keep the mystique, intrgue and suspense of his visit going. So take that, little non-believing vermin kid.
Saturday, December 06, 2008
Fighting the inevitable.
Posted by HMT at 10:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment