Sunday, February 27, 2011

Things we hear later....

Today we attended J's end of season hockey banquet. During the awards presentation, the coach had a speech. And, it was a good one. He had prepared thoughts on each player as he handed out a trophy bearing their name. Naturally, we always wonder what will be said, especially about Jackson. It can honestly be very.. um...ehhhh... well, unpredictable. I wonder... was he polite? Did he mind his manners? Did he say something really out there? Did he tick anyone off? I was immediately put at ease as the coach shared these words: "Loveable kid, constant positive energy, inspiration... and a kid who will always tell you where you stand." Then he shared a Jackson story.

They were in the locker room after a big loss. He was sharing words in a "coachly" disappointed, frustrated and loud voice... concern over plays, questioning what the plans were and working to motivate the team to play better next round. During all of it many kids heads were down and eyes glued to the floor. He noted as the kids filed out, one after the other, there was no eye contact or discussion of any sort until Jackson approached him. Jackson held out his hand and said "High Five Coach. Good job today." He said he was at a loss for words - and had no idea how to respond. Until then, he hadn't thought anything good about the game until Jackson pointed out to him that, in fact, it was a game and they'd do better next time.

The most important thing I heard today was this: "I know I coached him and he had a lot to learn - but he taught me something every time we were on the ice." Ummmm, yeah. What just happened - did my eyes get leaky?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

AMAZING!!!

Noel Paukert said...

Way to go Jackson. God has a plan and purpose for each of us!